In this post, I want to show how easy it is to shop your closet and pair new outfits from clothes you already have.
Here are the steps in their simplest form:
Purge: Rid (someone or something) of an unwanted quality, condition, or feeling.
Organize: Arrange into a structured whole; order.
Pair: A set of things used together or regarded as a unit.
The idea of shopping your closet is something that’s usually met with someone saying, ‘but I don’t have anything in my closet to pair.’ Which in most cases isn’t true :). Most people just grow tired of looking at the same things and think it’s worn-out and not usable. I’m here to tell you that I can pull 20 outfits out of most closets using the method below and they’re usually blown away with how I use the pieces to create mix and match outfits they’d never thought of before. Even if you can’t pair 20, it’s still a great way to identify what’s in your closet, what needs to stay, what needs to go and what you still need to create the outfits you want.
Follow these steps to see for yourself!
- Purge and organize using the Instant Outfit Formula
- Then start at completer pieces and start pairing coordinating shirts with them, depending on if the shirt is a basic or interest piece you want to pair the opposite bottoms (ex: completer, basic top, interest bottom OR completer, interest top, basic bottom) Do this until you run out of pieces to pair. More shirts than completed pieces? Add multiple shirts to a completed piece, this will end up making multiple outfits.
- Whatever is left that you didn’t pair, store in a separate section of your closet with the hangars turned towards you. If you wear it, turn the hanger the right way, if in a year the hangar is still facing you, then its time to give it away.
- All the tops and bottoms you paired can be hung next to the completer piece, do this for every completer piece set of clothes.
- Pair season-ready shoes and accessories with each set. Store the shoes below the set and the accessories in a baggie on the hangar with the completer piece.
- Now you have a series of outfits ready to pull at any time.
- Once you’ve worn and washed you can put it away, keeping it organized by basic, interest, and completed using the Instant Outfit Formula.
- Wear the outfits from the sets first, when you run out of outfits, pull your completers and do it all again, making sure to use different combinations of tops, bottoms, and accessories.
- If you only pull from outfits until they’re gone you also know you’re wearing your whole closet as opposed to only a few hot items each season.
Purge + Organize & Pair – So simple, yet so effective!
Okay so now you know how to purge+organize & pair its time to make sure you have these body slimming pieces in your closet. Every woman’s goal when dressing is to create the longest line from the top of your head to the tip of your toes. What’s listed are instantly slimming and create long lines so make sure you have one of each in your closet somewhere :). Slimming down your look with clothes is all about proportion and creating illusions. Don’t worry, its not trickery, everyone does it!
- A fitted blazer over anything
- Little black dress and heels
- Black tights with black shoes OR Bare legs with skin tones shoes
- A waisted full skirt
- An A-line skirt
- A large handbag
- A long jacket over skinny jeans
- An oversized scarf wrapped around the neck
- Sheer sleeves instead of bare arms
- Floor-skimming bootcut jeans
Have fun with this and see how many outfits you can pair. If this process is something you want to learn more about or need help accomplishing you can check out my mini-course called Closet Mastery. Its a quick 1 video course that shows you how to flip your closet over a weekend! You’ll gain a ton for only $7!
Best places to find me are Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook – Come say HI! 🙂